My Fxck Cancer Fundraiser for 2020

I found Fxck Cancer in 2019 when I started out as an ambassador for NUUN hydration. NUUN ambassadors share training and race day accomplishments in a closed social media site. While admiring many athletes on this platform, I spotted a unique triathlon shirt. The shirt was black and hot pink and had “Fuck Cancer” written in huge letters across the chest. The man sporting this awesome shirt was also riding the most impressive hot pink tri-bike. I was intrigued.


I found the Fxck Cancer website and read about this nonprofit; it is a 501c3. I knew right away that this was the right organization to support as I started my journey to 50 miles. They had an ambassador program, so I submitted an application. I watched my email every day for weeks, anxious to see if it had been approved. Finally, the day arrived when I learned Fxck Cancer approved my application and welcomed me to the 2020 Fxck Cancer Ambassador team! I was so elated!

In early December, I watched the 2020 kick-off meeting for Fxck Cancer held on Facebook Live. After the usual welcome and introduction to the charity, I learned that Fxck Cancer had about 1200 ambassadors in 2019, but they cut it down to around 800 for 2020. Apparently, there were too many people to manage and not everyone was really participating. The organizer, Jayson Williams, went on to say that they had read and carefully considered every single application that came in. Being new to this community, I was really surprised I made the cut.

As I’ve been involved for the first few months of 2020, I’ve discovered that many Fxck Cancer ambassadors are actively fighting cancer. They are also training, some for Ironman events. A full Ironman distance triathlon includes a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, followed by a 26.22 mile run. Just to drive this point home, someone going through chemo and radiation is out there training for a massive triathlon. If that’s not motivation to go out for a short run, then I don’t know what is! This charity also chooses one ambassador, who is actively fighting cancer, to bring to the Ironman World Championship event in Kona, Hawaii. They get to watch the event and represent Fxck Cancer at the various sponsored events surrounding this event. What an amazing gift for a cancer warrior! I’ve been to one Ironman event to cheer on some friends and it was a very memorable experience!

The Dyin 2 Live Dreams program is a wish-granting program for other cancer warriors. Recipients are gifted a VIP-like experience at a music festival, concert or sporting event throughout the year. They can meet the artist or athlete, get autographs, enjoy back-stage access and other opportunities associated with these special events. Fxck Cancer wants to show these warriors that “life is worth fighting for and no one fights alone.” The application for the Dyin 2 Live Program is on their website.

One of the key reasons I’m honored to support Fxck Cancer is their mission. They want to raise awareness and provide education about early detection in order to keep this disease from taking lives. They also want cancer warriors to know that no one has to fight alone. Fxck Cancer wants to bring hope and courage to those fighting. Life is too short to let cancer get in the way of reaching goals.

When I went to my High Risk Breast Cancer Clinic (HRBCC) last fall, the physician told me that I was doing the right things to prevent breast cancer. I have never smoked, I’m active, at a healthy weight and I eat well, including many common foods thought to fight cancer. For a few seconds, I was relieved to hear that living my lifestyle was good for my odds. Then she said while we can’t prevent cancer from happening, we can improve outcomes with early detection. Those were really sobering words and it hit my heart hard. I’m doing the right things, living a healthy lifestyle, but I’m not bulletproof. I’ve heard it before and I’ll say it again – early detection is critical. Know your family history, talk to your doctors about screenings and discuss genetic testing as an option.  

My family history includes a predominance of breast cancer, among other cancers. According to the HRBCC, I have an elevated risk for breast cancer which is why I get my mammograms every year. I’m planning to pursue genetic testing and I have another appointment with the HRBCC in April.

If you are fighting cancer, stay strong. Push for proper medical attention as you fight this disease. Eat well to get stronger, be as active as you can and continue to make plans for your future. Surround yourself with a network of supporters including your family, friends and other resources. Your hospital should be able to connect you with partnering organizations that can help you on this journey. Contact the American Cancer Society for information and support. Reach out to Fuck Cancer too. You aren’t alone in your fight.

Please consider making a donation through my personal Fxck Cancer fundraising page. Purchase merchandise through the Fxck Cancer website and share this information with your friends and family. Cancer sucks. Let’s work together to support our brave cancer warriors and spread the word about early detection. Thank you for any support you can offer!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my running journey