Top 3 Reasons to Join A Run Club Even If You Don’t Run

Joining a run club is a great way to improve your running ability and overall fitness. Search on social media or a call a running store to find out where and when they meet, then show up. Each run club is different, so be sure to visit multiple groups. You will find runners of all speeds and specialties, and many clubs cater to walkers. Some run clubs are off the books and others charge a membership fee. The membership fee might include race or store discounts, training plans or branded gear. Here are my top 3 reasons to join a run club even if you don’t run.

1. Accountability: Whether you are just getting started or an experienced runner, a group of like-minded people provides accountability. There will always be someone waiting for the group to arrive. You wouldn’t want to miss out or let anyone down. You’ll show up.

2. Friendship: Run club is a great social opportunity. Seeing the same faces week-after-week is rewarding and encouraging. As you run and talk, you’ll get to know these new friends better. Built-in cheerleaders will celebrate with you at races or as you reach new milestones in your running journey.

3. Improvement: You’ll quickly learn tips and tricks from experienced runners. While you might start chasing the faster ones, you’ll pick up speed eventually and maybe pass them someday. The biggest improvement comes from consistency. Keep showing up week after week and you’ll see improvement in no time!

I Love My Run Clubs

Our family has moved several times and, in each city, I’ve either found a run club or started one with other runners. I could share at great lengths about the life-long friends I’ve met through each of my run clubs. I’ve talked through so many joys and sorrows in my life and theirs. We’ve bragged about our kids and lamented at how hard parenting can be sometimes. I’ve had so many meaningful conversations during a run with friends and I treasure them all.

It was after my move to Florida that I met the most amazing friend and running partner. We ran together most mornings before work and with the local run club. It was her idea to advance from the 5k to 10k, then half marathon to full marathon. I thought she was totally crazy, but we trained together and finished these milestone distances together. Runners can be ambitious, but it’s good to be pushed sometimes if you can’t muster the courage to push yourself. Now, having seen what I can do, makes me wonder what else I can do. Which is why I’ve completed two 50ks and now have my sights set on my first 50 miler.

Step out of your comfort zone and join a run club. You’ll find just the accountability you need to improve your running ability, meet new friends and get even closer to achieving your big health and fitness goals.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my running journey