My Quest for 50 Miles and My Why

I had my first mammogram at age 29. I found a lump. Getting the appointment with the doctor, the mammogram, then waiting for results was the longest week of my life. So many thoughts raced through my head - just like it does for many other women during a time like this. I’m too young, I thought. Cancer doesn’t care about age. I worried about my husband and our two babies. Cancer doesn’t care about loved ones.

I’m blessed that my lump was a cyst. It remains a constant reminder to continue annual mammogram screening. Early detection will give me the best opportunity to survive breast cancer should my day come.


Here is a photo of my daughter, me, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother back in 1998. You see five generations of first-born women, strong women and the most important women in my life. In the moment captured by this photo, we were celebrating the birth of my daughter. At the same time, my grandmother was going through treatments for breast cancer.

She wanted to meet her first great-grandchild. We enjoyed some time together, singing to my baby and taking pictures until her pain and exhaustion set in. She retreated to her bedroom to rest and manage the pain in private. Talk about strong. I honestly don’t know how she managed any of it. We’re all blessed she made it through to my daughters first birthday, then we lost her to cancer.

How did she do it? How does anyone manage cancer treatments and live a normal life? I can’t imagine the pain, nausea and fatigue while having to care for children, maintain a job, and continue with the normalcy of life. No one needs to do this, yet life has a way of just going on no matter your pain level.

The mission of Fxck Cancer is to put an end to late stage cancer diagnosis. They also offer special VIP experiences to cancer warriors through their Dyin 2 Live Dreams program. Proceeds also support a National Awareness Tour and oncology programs at a children’s hospital.

I’ll be representing this nonprofit at every race I run in 2020. I’ll be running for cancer fighters, cancer survivors and the loved ones we’ve lost. My goal is to run 1,200 miles for the year and to raise $1,200 for this nonprofit. Please support my efforts with a donation to my Fxck Cancer page or by using the link below.


Thank you for your support!

Comments

  1. We're very proud of your energy and passion to support such a worthy cause. Sharing a personal journey is a great way to connect and to help while learning more. I look forward to this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you Rachel! What's the date of your run? Where is it?
    If it's up north around here, you are always welcome to have our guest room!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my running journey